Does anyone else remember seeing a 1/1 Squirrel token from Magic: the Gathering set Unglued (UGL) and being, confused... What is this cards casting cost? Is it a real MTG card? Can I shuffle it into my deck? I was confused but also intrigued, I loved the full art card and the idea of not having to use dice to represent token creatures on the battlefield anymore. This could be a game changer! Sadly, there were only a few token types printed at this time, I hoped that Wizards would print more in future. It took a few years but they eventually did and tokens are now part of almost every Magic set!
I mostly play token themed decks, B/W Tokens in Modern, G/W Rhys the Redeemed in EDH and what ever token deck I can brew in Standard. My collection started back in 2013 around the release of Magic 2014 Core set (M14). My goal was to have a copy of every MTG token officially printed.
Over the next few years I researched, found, bought and traded what I naively thought was a completed collection. But after posting to Reddit, the community quickly helped me realise that I'd missed quite a few. Often tokens are given away as prizes at MTG events and pre-releases and due to their lower print numbers, they're much harder to find.
After another year of sourcing these rare and hard to find tokens, along with keeping up with all the new releases, I finally collected all the 482 English, officially printed, Magic: The Gathering token cards to date and again took to Reddit to share.
My collection of all 482 MTG tokens:
Collection complete at time of posting, including all tokens up to Battle for Zendikar (BFZ) set released on Oct 9th, 2015.
How to start your own token collection
At the time I started my collection, I didn't know of any other collections like this and there was no definitive list online... so I created one. You can find it on the tokens by set page. I'd recommend starting there and working your way through the list of tokens for each set.
To get your collection started look out for bulk buys on eBay it's much easier/cheaper than buying them individually. The bulk listing are unlikely to include any rare or promo token cards, so trade/buy these individually. Remember to ask at your local game store and online communities, people may have unwanted tokens for a better price than the big online stores.
If you'd like to use the set dividers I created, you can download them here.
Good luck! Let me know on Twitter how your collection is looking!
The 1/1 Squirrel token that started it all for me!
Player reward promos 2001-2003 from:
JingHe Age (JIN) 10th Anniversary (S-Chinese) - a Chinese marketing promotion by Beijing JingHe Age for the release of Torment and Judgment.
Player reward promos 2003-2004 from:
Player reward promos 2003-2004 from:
The mighty 20/20 Marit Lage - the first foil token card ever printed!
Shards of Alara 1/1 Saproling - my favourite token artwork
- Innistrad 2/2 Wolf - Judge promo token (looks exactly the same as the regular Wolf from the front, but it has a judge promo ad on the back)
- Friday Night Magic 1/1 Human - Avacyn Restored full moon promo
- Friday Night Magic 2/2 Wolf - Avacyn Restored full moon promo
- Avacyn Restored 4/4 Angel - the Helvault Experience / Pre-Release foil promo
- Avacyn Restored 5/5 Demon - the Helvault Experience / Pre-Release foil promo
- M13 1/1 Goblin - league promo
- Gatecrash 1/1 Soldier - league promo
- Dragon's Maze 1/1 Bird - league promo
- Dragon's 10 Maze guild promos
- M14 1/1 Silver - league promo
- Born of the Gods 1/1 Soldier - league promo. My favourite token as I love the artwork and it is one of rarest and the hardest to find!
- Journey Into Nyx 2/3 Minotaur - league promo
- Khans of Tarkir 1/1 Warrior - league promo
- Fate Reforged 1/1 Monk - league promo
Thanks for looking!